OSF Teacher Certification is a rigorous program that prepares teachers to be inventive and responsive to specific situations, while deeply understanding underlying spirit and intentions of the work. OSF offers methods to access depth, specificity, courage, rigor, integration and freedom in movement, vocal practice and performance. It empowers teachers to adapt these methods and discover their own in response to their teaching and performance situations.
OSF is a remarkably effective and revolutionary way of learning that can catalyze learning and healing of all kinds. A key mission is individual creative empowerment as an instigator of positive change on the planet.
The OSF training approach supports a sophisticated, fertile research atmosphere in a community of practitioners who are actively teaching, researching and creating.
A rigorous, soul-expanding program, OSF Teacher Certification gives a solid grounding in methods and deep understanding of the work, ultimately empowering teachers to expand OSF to adapt to changing circumstances in our lives & worlds, and integrate it with their own research or other practices they embrace.
Current trainers are Stephanie Skura, Nate Dryden, Susanna Hood, Meaghen Buckley, Keely Isaak Meehan & Manuela Bondavalli.
Our Teacher Certification Program offers rigorous grounding in conceptual basis and spirit of OSF. It provides clear understanding of:
- category & purpose of each activity
- essential concepts that underlie and inform
- how layers of consciousness function to create an environment conducive to transformation
- imagery and its powerful effects
- innovative approaches to creating imagery
- physicality of the open voice
- guidelines for language and music: their enormous effect on a learning environment
- healing aspects of the work, and guidelines for responsible facilitation
- foundations for improvisational exploration of concepts
- philosophical issues that inform and activate our practice
Teachers learn to create a seemingly magical environment conducive to experiential learning and transformation, empowering participants in their creative and growth process.
Thus grounded, teachers develop tools and intuitive skills to adapt and develop the work — teaching Open Source Forms, and integrating it with other practices, or with their own creative practice.
We train teachers to be as creative and present with this work as its original creators, to guide its evolution, remain responsive to a changing world, and — by creatively empowering individuals — become instigators of positive change on the planet.
“It has been one of the joys of my life to do this work. And this wild ecstatic delight of exploring OSF & Teacher Training is only made more exciting by the potential to bring in new art-related ideas & continue to develop them. I’m stunned into incoherence by everything that’s happened this summer. It’s impossible to thank you adequately for the immensity, generosity, hilarity, depth & expansiveness of what you’ve brought to this Teacher Training.” Meaghen Buckley, Certified OSF Teacher, 2014
Two-year Teacher Certification includes:
- Four weeks’ classes, labs, discussions and practice sessions during the first summer.
- Four weeks’ trainee practice-teaching labs the second summer, along with feedback, discussions, creative laboratories, and advanced practice in OSF, improvisation, writing and vocal work.
- Three writing projects between years, with faculty feedback and discussion.
- Readings in relevant philosophical, therapeutic and somatic topics
- Bi-weekly private sessions during each summer for individual processing.
PRE-REQUISITES FOR ALL APPLICANTS :
- Minimum two years’ experience with introductory level OSF and/or SRT, taught by certified OSF or SRT teachers, plus 3-Week Sourcing Deeper Program and inter-year independent study projects. Introductory level includes specific deep image work, movement practices, hands-on partner studies, vocal and creative practices. Because this transformative work is processed over time, trainees need to participate in sessions during at least two recent years.
- Teaching experience (any practice).
- Improvisation experience.
- Experience with poetry, literature, and music are helpful.
“To be able to corporalize my imagination, my emotions & unconscious impulses with my dancing body-mind, touches deeply the inner corners of my soul. I’m ending these sessions absolutely grateful, to you and to life.” Marisol Salinas, OSF Certified Teacher, 2014
OSF is an experiential rather than analytical form of learning. Time to immerse in experiential processing of this transformative practice is essential before the rigorous analytical work required to learn to teach it. Even with accomplished dancers and actors, it is crucial that this experiential phase is not short-circuited with simultaneous analysis of the experience.
“I want to let you know how grateful I am you for the unique opportunity to share such a nourishing, enlightening, full of wisdom and humanity, fun and improvisationally rich month of work.” Manuela Bondavalli, Teacher-Trainer-in-Training, 2019/20
OSF Teacher Training locations & dates:
Given enough qualified and committed participants:
Next 3- week Sourcing Deeper Program: Summer 2024.
Next Teacher Certification Program begins Summer 2024.
If interested in one of these Programs or in future programs, please let us know using the form below!
To receive occasional news about Open Source Forms Teacher Training Programs and workshops, subscribe here